- We monitor the number of UK rare & native breeds every year.
- We monitor threats to breeds such as inbreeding, disease and geographical concentration.
- We save genetics in the UK National Gene Bank.
- We collect genetics from animals, usually semen from males but also embryos.
- If a breed were to become extinct, we can use this stored material to revive a breed.
- We promote the breeding and registration of rare and native breeds.
- We promote the use of rare and native breeds for Food, Fibre and Conservation Grazing.
Did you know that RBST has a network of regional volunteer support groups throughout the UK?
The Support Groups are an important part of the RBST organisation helping in a number of different ways.
And remember you don’t have to own stock to become a volunteer.
Scotland has three groups: The Northern Group, The Caledonian Group & The Borders Group (contact details are in the video).
Join RBST Today
You can help us monitor, save and promote the UK’s rare and native breeds. Join at: https://www.rbst.org.uk/join-rbst-today